Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Schreibers of London?

We arrived in London on Saturday, April 12th. The flight went great considering it was a redeye. Alden slept for most of the trip. So far, he has been a GREAT plane traveler on all of our journeys. I am glad for that.

So what have we done this first week? Alden and I have ventured out on our own as tourists when Chris is working. Chris didn't go to work until Tuesday the 15th, which gave us time to gather electric cords for our computer and got our VOIP (Vonage) phone system up and working with our local WA number. But once Chris went to work, I had to find things to do. So Tuesday, Alden and I went to Regent's Park and looked at the ducks and the other kids playing. For those of you who don't know, I spent a month in London in college for a "Theatre in London" J-Term program. We lived at Regents College, which is right by Regent's Park. Our flat is by Baker Street as well in the Marylebone Neighborhood. I like the location.

Alden had a runny nose on the flight and had developed a cough, so we stayed in on Wed. as a recovery day. But on Thursday, Alden and I went to Hamley's which is the biggest 5 story mega toy store in London and it has been in London for over 100+ years. Alden got a couple of small new toys because he was doing his best adjusting to the 8 hour time difference.

On Friday Alden and I went to Buckingham Palace where I took a picture of him by the front gates and them we went to the Queen's Gallery where I looked at some of the paintings, sculptures, and jewelry owned by the Royal Family. Getting to Buckingham Palace was an adventure. We took the bus! I had to lift the stroller up onto the bus, but there is a spot without seats (reserved for wheelchairs and "Prams" as strollers are called here). But I got to Victoria Station and managed to get to Buckingham Palace. Returning home, I did discover that some bus driver are real sticklers regarding how many "carriages" they will let on their bus. Unfortunately for me, the first bus that came by the driver said that we couldn't board because there was already a "carriage" on board.

On Saturday, Chris and I did a walking tour suggested in Lonely Planet and went to see Dr. Samuel Johnson's house - he wrote the first English Language Dictionary - and walked to the Tower of London via the London Museum, London Wall, and the Barbican. We were planning to go into the Tower, but the last tour with a Beefeater had ended for the day and I didn't want to wander through it on our own. (This was the BEST experience when I was in London in 1995. The Beefeaters make a GREAT tour!)

On Sunday, we took "The Original Tour" bus to see the city. The bus took us around the city to all of the sights with a guide - we didn't get off - you could if you wanted too, but we stayed on since we had Alden. It was nice to see the "whole" picture. We came back to Marylebone at the end of the day and decided to have dinner at a small restaurant across from our flat - The Beehive. It was really good!


Alden at the gate of Buckingham Palace....well, I took the photo so he had to pose!


Chris and Alden at the underground station.


Samuel Johnson House


Alden and Daddy on the tourbus.


Mommy and Alden on the bus.

No comments: