Tuesday, April 22, 2008

2nd Week in London - Monday

I don't want to spend all day everyday by myself, so I found some Mommies' Groups on Meet.com to join. I ventured out to Chelsea to the National Army Museum to meet some other moms for a 10am playgroup...but I was LATE! The darn Circle line took forever. Not to mention that taking a baby and a stroller ALONE on the subway is not fun - esp. when many of the stations don't have elevators and you HAVE to fold up your stroller and hold your baby going down the escalator. And did I mention that I am also carrying a bag and a purse? And then there is the GAP between the subway car and the platform which give "Mind the Gap" a whole new meaning...... so I was late and when I got to the Army Museum, the lady at the desk wouldn't let me into the playspace. Luckily one of the other moms was late too so we chatted for a bit in the cafe over coffee. And I got to see Chelsea - which is a beautiful borough of the city.

I got on a bus from Chelsea to Westminister Station and then I WALKED across the Westminster Bridge to Southwark and followed the Queen's Walk to Shakepeare's Globe Theatre. This was a long walk - I am guessing about 2 miles. I love this walk. We took it often when I lived in London at St. Olaf because it was the best way to get to the National Theatre. So Alden and I strolled past the National Theatre and many fine shops and cafes until we reached the Globe. I dined at The Swan cafe - I had a great tuna and cuke sandwich with crisps and Alden ate his favorite dish which is cereal and Spinach with Basil. After lunch we went into the Globe and toured the exhibition as well as the theatre space itself. In 1995 the Globe was still being constructed, so I enjoyed getting to see the finished product this time.

After the tour, Alden and continued along the Queen's Walk past Southwark Cathedral to the London Bridge Underground. It had been a long day!

No comments: